Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) returns to pay-per-view (PPV) later tonight (Sat., Nov. 3, 2018) with UFC 230, which is set to go down inside Madison Square Garden in New York, New York. In the headlining act, Daniel Cormier will defend his Heavyweight title against Derrick Lewis, while Chris Weidman and Ronaldo Souza duke it out at Middleweight in the co-main event.
Derrick Lewis captured the attention and hearts of fans with a memorable performance at UFC 229, now he’ll look to parlay that into a championship at UFC 230 against Daniel Cormier.
It isn’t the main event that anyone expected, but it’s two fan favorites slugging it out in a title fight. Nothing to complain about there.
This card has seen some major overhauling in its build up. Originally, the card was to be anchored by a women’s flyweight title fight between Sijara Eubanks and Valentina Shevchenko. Fortunately, the UFC attempted to make something a little bigger for the Madison Square Garden and the heavyweight title fight was put together to save the card.
There’s also the matter of the co-main event. New York favorite Chris Weidman was scheduled to rematch Luke Rockhold in the penultimate fight on the card, but an injury to Rockhold forced a shuffling of the card that now sees Jacare Souza get a crack at the former champion.
Regardless of all the changes and shuffling the end result is a card that has meaningful fights (especially in the middleweight division which hosts four of the final five bouts) and the potential for fun.
Here’s a look at the complete card with odds and predictions for the evening’s biggest contests.
All odds via OddsShark.
Main Card (PPV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champion Daniel Cormier (-700; wager $700 to win $100) vs. Derrick Lewis (+450; wager $100 to win $450) for the UFC heavyweight title
- Ronaldo Souza (+185) vs. Chris Weidman (-150)
- David Branch (-360) vs. Jared Cannonier (+270)
- Jack Marshman (+235) vs. Karl Roberson (-305)
- Israel Adesanya (-300) vs. Derek Brunson (+230)
Prelims (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Jason Knight (-280) vs. Jordan Rinaldi (+220)
- Sijara Eubanks (-600) vs. Roxanne Modafferi (+400)
- Julio Arce (-260) vs. Sheymon Moraes (+200)
- Lyman Good (-650) vs. Ben Saunders (+425)
Prelims (Fight Pass, 6:15 p.m. ET)
- Matt Frevola (+225) vs. Lando Vannata (-285)
- Shane Burgos (-340) vs. Kurt Holobaugh (+260)
- Montel Jackson (-150) vs. Brian Kelleher (+120)
- Marcos Rogerio de Lima (+175) vs. Adam Wieczorek (-225)
Daniel Cormier is one of the most accomplished fighters in MMA history. Derrick Lewis is one of the most likable characters in the sport right now.
This feels like more of a flavor of the week matchup to entice fans to buy rather than a compelling matchup, but there is one thing to watch for.
Can Lewis pull off a massive upset simply because he has incredible power?
Cormier is an Olympic level wrestler, terror in the clinch and solid striker. He’s going to have the technical advantage wherever the fight goes, but the one thing that is hard to account for is pure power and that’s something the Black Beast has in spades.